POT TWIST — ombré isn’t just for your summer balayage. With this simple DIY you’ll be dipping a new succulent pot instead of your ends. Mix up the paint with some water just like you did with kool-aid during those middle school summers, and you’re off to the races! Think of these pots as a bright reminder of how you’ve *~glown up~* from the days of blue raspberry hair-dye to summer ombré plant queen. 🌱👑
Time: 1 hour with drying time
- Succulent Studios subscription box — 1–2 of your own bb succulents
- Terra-cotta pot
- White acrylic paint
- Blue acrylic paint or any color
- Sponge paint brushes
- Glass or plastic bowl big enough for your pot and water
- Succulent and Cacti soil mix
Preparing the Pot
- Paint the entire terra-cotta pot white (including the inside) and let try
- Add your colored acrylic paint (start with a tablespoon size) to about 6 oz of water or more depending on the size of your bowl — you want the water to go about 1/4 way up from the bottom of the pot
- Stir the paint and water well and let submerge the bottom of the pot for about 5–10 minutes
- Add another 4–6 oz of water to the blue painted water until it hits half way up your pot — this is where the ombré effect comes in with the diluted color
- Submerge the pot to about half way up for another 5–10 minutes
- Add a little more water to the bowl and submerge the pot to its highest and lightest color for 5–10 minutes
- Take your pot out and let dry
Adding the Succulents
- Add your succulent and cacti soil to the pot about 3/4 of the way up
- Separate succulent from the pot by pushing in on all sides to loosen soil, then remove the entire succulent with the root ball attached and place it into the soil
- Repeat for all the succulents and pots
- If you’re feelin’ really ambitious, add some garden rocks to cover the soil and help your succulent babe pop!
- Take a photo! Show off your #ombresucculentpot and tag us #Sucstu on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter so we can see how it turned out!
- Succulents require bright, indirect light. Think 6–8 hours a day.
- Water sparingly about every 7–14 days. When in doubt, don’t water!
Loving all the ideas for succulent homes but no succulents of your own?! Subscribe here and problem solved!